WHY DID MICHAEL
THE GREAT ARCHANGEL SAY "THE LORD REBUKE THEE"?
In my early ministry as a young evangelist, just starting out and in one
of my first revival meetings, I heard the Pastor say while praying for a
person the Lord rebuke thee. Some how this did not feel 100% correct.
However, he being a senior minister and I just a young minister I did
not say anything to him. As I sought the Lord He showed me from His Word
that we the church have the power to rebuke the devil and his demons. In
this sermon outline we point these promises to the church.
I. First why did the pastor use this verse of Jude 1:9
- Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he
disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing
accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
A. I believe he was acting in humble ignorance of God's Word.
1. Yes, the devil has power. Look what he was before he fell.
- Ezek 28:14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and
I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast
walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Ezek 28:15 Thou
wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till
iniquity was found in thee.
a. He was perfect until he sinned against God.
B. I HEARD THE PASTOR REBUKING THE SPIRIT OF THE DEVIL SAYING THE SAME
THING; IT DID NOT RING TRUE TO ME IN 1961.
C. GOD HAS GIVEN THE CHURCH POWER OVER THE DEVIL.
- Acts 1:8 (KJV) But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is
come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and
in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
1. In the great commission in Mark 16 Jesus said in my Name
you will cast out demons.
a. I believe many people who are bound by evil
spirits are set free when they come to Jesus and call on His Name. There
is power in His Name.
b. There is not greater name. Acts 4:12 (KJV)
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name
under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
II. THE ORIGINAL STATE OF MAN WAS PERFECT IN THE GARDEN.
- Psalms 8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and
hast crowned him with glory and honour. Psalms 8:6 Thou madest him to
have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things
under his feet: .
A. SIN TOOK PLACE, MAN FELL
III. CHRIST REGAINED WHAT ADAM LOST AT THE CROSS.
- Heb 2:8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in
that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put
under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. Heb 2:9 But
we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the
suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace
of God should taste death for every man. Heb 2:10 For it became him, for
whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons
unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through
A. He has blessed us will all spiritual blessings and one of those
blessings is to have power over the enemy through Him and His Name.
- Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who
hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in
- Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in
heavenly places in Christ Jesus: .
IV. GAVE US THE POWER OF HIS NAME.
HE RECEIVED IT WHEN HE ROSE AGAIN AND GAVE IT TO THE CHURCH.
- Matt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is
given unto me in heaven and in earth.
A. The church received this power on the Day of Pentecost.
1. The promise in Acts 1:8 was being fulfilled.
B. WE HAVE WHAT THE ANGELS DO NOT HAVE, WE ARE REDEEMED, WE ARE CHILDREN
OF GOD, AND WE HAVE THE POWER OF HIS NAME.
- Phil 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
- Phil 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be
equal with God:
- Phil 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form
of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
- Phil 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and
became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
- Phil 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a
name which is above every name:
- Phil 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in
heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
- Phil 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is
Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- Prov 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous
runneth into it, and is safe.
In closing: Let us remember the 70 when they returned from their
mission trip in Luke 10:17-20 (KJV)
- 17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the
devils are subject unto us through thy name. - 18 And he said unto them,
I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
- 19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions,
and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt
- 20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject
unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
WE REJOICE BECAUSE WE ARE SAVED!
God bless you and yours!
On behalf of this generation,
Your friends in the service of Christ,
and Marge Abram
Abundant Life Crusades
If we could be
of more help or if you want more information please visit:
The Good News
Web Pages and HTML Sources are
ęCopyright 2002-2020 |
Web Development: Digital Smiles